Thursday, April 18, 2013

Big Words

I am in no mood to build up to the point. Mostly because I write pointless things. I believe most writers are so bored, that they come up with weird ideas. Like I was just aimless-ly staring out of my window. My window showed me a tree. Battered by the fall, yet to be renovated by spring. It had not a single leaf that I could see from the distance. It is tall and leafless and madly branched. The branch ramifications were endless. The crazy branching looked like open nerve endings to me. But why open nerve endings? That's stupid. And I am sure some writer would think of it to be a metaphor to some strange crap. Then somebody would write a really complicated piece on it. What's with big words? Big words are hard to pronounce and nobody uses them in conversations anyway. And when people use these big difficult words in their writings, 90% of the mass would close the book after a few pages and never return to it. Some major enthusiast might finish it though. But that's only 10% of the mass. Or less. For example, the words they make us memorize to crack exams like GRE, (That's an exam you have to take to study in the USA.) no matter where you come from ,you take the test. I did too. 50% of the words were hard to remember and are hardly used ever, and the system insists that we know them for qualifying. There's no harm in increasing your vocabulary, but to make it essential to pass an exam (the vocabulary accounts for 50% of the exam)makes not a lot of sense to me. Honestly, I haven't found a single American who would understand me if I start talking using those big words. Maybe somewhere in Britain these exam skills would come in handy, but not anywhere else I guess. Well what do I know.

No comments: